Birth Doula Services
Every birth can be empowering, satisfying, and celebrated as the sacred transformation that it is, regardless of what actually happens with interventions and how that aligns – or not – with one’s birth plan.
Preparation and support can make all the difference.
Every woman deserves to have a birth focused on the unique journey that is this birth and this baby.
A doula holds the space for reverence, while providing practical support, logistical strategizing, and support in achieving your goals and wishes for your baby’s birth.
Just as every labor and birth is unique, every doula-client relationship is unique as well. That said, birth doula services include:
- Two prenatal visits to discuss your vision for your birth – including:
- your hopes and expectations
- concerns and challenges, and
- strategizing how we can work together so I can best support you.
- These can be wherever you are most comfortable; most often I meet with couples in their homes.
- Optional guidance in developing an at-home yoga or meditation practice specific to your needs.
- This can also include poses you can do as a couple, during pregnancy as well as early labor.
- Email and phone support throughout your pregnancy – call or email me as questions arise.
- Closer to your due date, we’ll touch base more frequently – at minimum after each of your medical prenatal visits – so that you feel fully supported as you approach labor.
- 24 hour On Call support when you reach 37 weeks.
- Continuous support during labor and birth – I will either meet you at your home during early labor, or at your place of birth when you are ready to be there, depending on how you feel.
- I stay with you after your baby is born to help get you settled. This is generally a couple of hours, until you’re ready for time alone as a new family.
- One postpartum visit within two weeks of your baby’s birth – to adore your baby, as well as discuss your birth, answer any questions, support breastfeeding, discuss newborn care, and provide referrals to other resources.
During labor, I support the couple however they need, which looks different every time, and evolves as labor progresses. This can involve everything from very hands on – strategizing and supporting positions for optimal comfort and massage – to the very practical – refilling water, getting ice for cold washcloths, finding the nurse because you have questions. My knowledge of labor and birth provides perspective and reassurance, as well as information so you can make informed and empowered decisions about how your baby is born. This multifaceted support helps couples stay fully present and connected with each other and their baby throughout the journey.
Please contact me for information on the doula services I can offer you.